Pages

Friday, January 2, 2009

Goodbye 2008

Ya know, I thought 2007 was kind of a bad year and when 2008 rolled around I said “this is going to be an up year” I could not have been more mistaken. Below is loose time line of the events for the year. The more I read this the more it reads like a Christmas letter you stick in your card. Oh well.

It started off well enough, the winter was snowy and Joel and I got it a lot more boarding that we had ever done.

Tracy celebrated her 10th year of successful liver transplant. It is hard to believe that much time has passed.

Joel played basketball for his final grade school year. Kiki played another year of softball. She’s pretty good when she wants to be. For the first time in 8 years I was not a coach of a baseball team. I was able to help with Kiki’s team and only had to sit and watch Joel’s last year of Pony ball. Ok, I did have to be a base coach or do the books for a game or two. However, no lineups, calling for rain dates, practices etc. It was nice to just spectate.

Mom and Dad celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary.

Also during the spring Dad was ill and eventually diagnosed with cancer. He started his treatments soon after. At this point everyone was very optimistic.

Joel graduated from 8th grade with highest honors, a 3.98 GPA. We are very proud of him.

July came and we did the annual lakefront fireworks and Summerfest.

To celebrate the awesomeness, we hit the road for our little vacation. Just the boys, the open road, mountain bikes and concert tickets. If you have not read all the details just click here. We had a great time. Making memories that won’t soon be forgotten. Well except the fact that we did not see the concert as we had anticipated. At least not in July anyway.

Dad did not respond well to the chemotherapy treatments and his condition deteriorated.

Jenny celebrated her 30th Birthday. We took Mom to a brewer game for her 60th Birthday. Nice to see her name on the big screen!

The summer was over just like that. Dad never got better.

Joel started High School and Kiki started 3rd grade. High school, man do I feel old. Two days into the school year I pulled him out for two days to complete our summer trip (concert). Fly to Denver, see a concert and fly home. Talk about rock star. Seems like years ago already.

October rolled in a Dad went into the hospice. Mom did her damndest to care for him at home. He was only there for a week (if not less). That was quite possible the hardest thing to watch. See him go like that. On October 6th, Joel’s 15th birthday no less, Dad passed away. I always tell Joel there is something special there, being Papa’s first grandchild.

We did the funeral thing and that was it, as fast as it started, it was over.

Life goes on and Tracy and I went to Arizona for our little 4 day get away, anniversary, birthday trip. Went to the Grand Canyon, I can check that off the bucket list. Came back and I had my 40th Birthday. I am officially “over the hill”. Had a small surprise birthday party, even though I specifically told Tracy not to. Good to see nothing has changed. We entered 16 years of wedded bliss on Halloween. Tracy also pointed out to me we celebrated our 20 year anniversary of our first date. Wow I have now spent half my life with her. Here’s where I insert the joke…But I won’t. It’s been a fun and interesting 20, let’s see what the next 20 bring. Tra, I love you.

As I write this, I noticed 2008 seemed to be the year of the major milestone.

On with fall, another proud parent moment. Joel made the high school freshman basketball team. I groan a lot with all the running around with my kids, but it’s worth it. Giving them the opportunities to experience and grow is worth it. Kiki plays piano pretty darn good. It’s the neatest feeling in the world to see her play in front of school and just nail the piece. Again, we could not be prouder.

I am not sure where the kids get their talents from. Athletically, musically and just about anything else they touch. It sure is not from this klutz.

Well, the holidays came and went. Thanksgiving and Christmas. No Dad. Yea it was strange, it was hard on all of us, Mom especially. One thing I realize, life goes on.

New Years Eve was fun. Glen’s last show as a member of Road Trip. I can’t tell you the last time we actually did anything but stay home on New Year’s Eve. However, staying up to 4:00 A.M. is not something I will make a habit of.

Well, that’s it for this year. I will keep the blog rolling. Apparently people like it or at least it’s a nice tool for me to say what’s going on, with the family, with my mind and of course a picture or two is worth a thousand words.

Cheers!

-Jeff

1 comment:

  1. I love you too! Here's to a Happier 2009!!!

    ReplyDelete