Pages

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Trek 100

For the last few weeks you have all listened to (or read about) my back and forth about doing the Trek 100. The few training rides I did in April and May, the requests for sponsorship, the basic uncertainty of me getting on a bike again for that distance.

Well Saturday came, and it came early.  I was out of the house by 5:40 so I could get to Waterloo by 7 ish.  Not sure of the parking and the crowds or how this worked,  I wanted to give myself the earliest start.  I got there and parking was a non issue, biked to the staring area, had some pancakes and fruit.  You will notice the amount of food I ingest on this ride is pretty staggering.  Not the amount but more along the lines of what is available.

It's almost 7:30 and the 100 and 62 mile riders queue up.  Some inspirational speeches from some survivors, from parents who were not so lucky and the the man himself, Jon McGlocklin.  This is the 25th anniversary ride for this event which has raised over 20 million for cancer research.  Pretty impressive.

Its almost 8:00 by the time the wave of riders I am in gets to leave the starting line.  This is it, now or never. Time to get to work.  The weather is perfect low 70's light to no wind.  

The first leg was almost too easy.  14 miles in 50 minutes.  16.5 Mph average speed.  I am feeling great, no seat pain no nothing.  I did pre-medicate with some Aleve before the ride just to be ahead of it.  The rest stop is pretty full.  I get in line for some fruit (bananas strawberries etc) and whats this a burrito?  Sure I will have a egg, sausage cheese and bean breakfast burrito.  

Time to start the second leg.  The longest stage of the ride.  17 miles  in an hour and 10 minutes.  14 Mph.  Still really good.  My rear is starting to complain a little.  I have gone through almost 72 oz of water in  my hydration backpack I am wearing.  I refill as at a water station.  Go grab some orange slices and turn around to see what?  Famous Dave is serving up BBQ?  Wings, cornbread and god knows what else.  I grab two small wings and eat them in seconds.  So tasty.  But I need to keep going.  I am only half way done.

The next leg is the shortest.  A little over 9 miles - 42 minutes later I arrive.  still over 13 Mph.  Still good. My rear is complaining  just a little louder, "butt" he has company.  My lower left back has started to chime in with some real nice spasms.  Time for some more bananas, some energy bars and some other organic mishmash of dried fruit,  nuts and whey solids.  Hey there is a tree, time to get some shade and do some stretches for my back.  Hey, whats this?  Wood fired pizza?  Well these folks are so nice I better not be rude and have a piece before I go....

The section takes us back to the same rest stop as the first one.  We are doubling back on the route.  The winds start to come into play.  Since they were coming out of the south, we are now heading into them.  They were not hard winds, but enough to notice.  9.5 miles in 45 minutes.  I have dropped under 13 Mph. Seen this stop before,  but they have sno-cones.  Who doesn't like a sno-cone and the kids really like making them.  That and some more bananas and strawberries and pineapple.  They have a chocolate fountain? How did I miss that last time.  That's ok I will have to pass.  I take some more Aleve because by back is now a petulant thing demanding so much attention. 

Last leg. 14.4 miles or so, into winds, up hills.  The very same hills that propelled me to a 16.5 mph first leg are now getting the last laugh.  The thing about these rest stops, they are in little towns scattered among the rolling farms and forests.  I get giddy every time I see a city limits sign. As I read that the Waterloo Lions Club welcomes me, I know its almost over.  I cross the finish line and get my medal.  1 hour and 15 minutes. Under 12 Mph more like 11.2 to be precise. I get off the bike. I walk, I get my picture taken with some people, I put my beer wrist band on, get a beer and a pulled pork sandwich or two.  I did it.  Almost 64 miles in about 5 and half hours.  4:50 of that in the saddle.  That felt pretty good.  I raised $590.00 and our team went over $20,000.  Not a bad day.  

Goodbye Trek headquarters, see you next year?

 I saved each segment on its own and then recombined them back as one. I averaged 13.3 Mph moving and 11 with stops.

1 comment:

  1. We need to do a triathalon next! You can bike, Jim can swim and I will run!!! Gotta get Jim swimming!!

    ReplyDelete