Pages

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Well it's February already.  Already?  Maybe spring not coming fast enough for some people.

I know that the lack of snow (up until Sunday) has been disappointing for some.  I have not been able to get out the cross country skis even once this year.  Last year I was skiing in December.  Looks like the trails got a bit more snow and maybe some extra in the next few days.

Bitten with this cabin fever I have taken to planning more activities as well that won't have to wait until the ice is off the water.

One such activity is on the National Ice Age Trail.  Did you know that there is a designated national hiking trail in Wisconsin?  Over 1000 miles of connected trail.  Exactly like the 2200 mile Appalachian Trail, the 2600 mile Pacific Crest Trail, or the 800 mile Arizona Trail  (to name a few).  Pretty cool.  Even cooler is there is over 45 miles of this trail in Washington County.  Not to mention what's available in a few other counties nearby.  That's our backyard.  Infact, I have used or been near part of the trail when cross country skiing, mountain biking and hiking from Pike lake and Holy Hill all the way up into the Northern Kettle Moraine Forest.  Why not do more.  It's outside, its exercise, its pretty and it's even educational.  The trail is based on the geology from the last...wait for it... Ice Age.  Kames, drumlins, eskers, moraines, erratics and glacial lakes, oh my.

I picked up the guide book and started building some maps for near future adventures. Who's with me?  Who wants to quit their job and through hike it?  (doing it all at once, over 2-4 months).  Ok a little extreme.  Unless I win a lottery.

Speaking of extreme, started working out again.  With the crazy people doing CrossFit.  It's class type activity so its pre built daily workouts and constantly mixed up.  Add in a trainer to watch and help and encourage.  I am only doing 101 level activities and it's kicking my butt.  Eventually I will move to 201 and I cannot imagine how sore I will be after that.  Strangely I have been looking forward to it.



No comments:

Post a Comment