Pages

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Night Sky Part II

Because my last attempt at night sky photography was such a disaster, I let less than a week go by before I tried again.

On Friday the skies were clear, the moon was starting to make its presence felt, only 6 days away from a full moon.  Unfortunately it was almost as cold, around 0 by the time I went out at 9PM.

Did a lot of things differently than I did last time and it was helpful.  One of the things I did was take 40 consecutive 6 second exposures.

One of each looked like this:


But when you take some free software and stack all the photos up, you get trails like this:


Now I need to go back to a wider angle lens to this will seem even more dramatic.  Longer times I can actually get some full circles as the earth moves on its rotation. Also some milky way type photos I hope.  After reviewing all the pictures this weekend I did notice one neat thing.  Look for it in this next picture.  This particular picture was 88 seconds long and you can see some of the star streaking on it's own without stacking photos.  Click to get the larger view when looking for it.


If you look in the upper left hand corner you will see it.  If you can't I cropped it for you in the next picture


See the line?  Red light alternating with a green light.  An airplane went photobombed me!  

Can't wait until next month to try again with more ideas and hopefully more cool photos.  At least it should be warmer!



No comments:

Post a Comment