Pages

Monday, April 6, 2015

Another Saturday another hike.

As the weather is still a bit chilly to get on the rivers and lakes (for me anyway) and fishing season a month away I still want to get outside for some fresh air.  Again on Saturday I turned to the Ice Age Trail.

This time I was equipped a little better.  I used the 20% off and REI dividend to grab a new set of boots.  I still got a blister.  I actually think it was the old one from last week flaring up.  Plus you need to break these things in.

Back to the hike.  This time I started where I finished last time.  The trailhead at Culvers in West Bend.


Up the hill looking back at Culvers.

This trail took me through West Bend and into Kewaskum, ending at Sunburst Ski hill. Almost 8 miles.  The day was a bit warmer than last time but was it ever windy.  Not bad in the kettles but on the road and open areas, it made for a some difficult temperature regulation.  Jacket off, working up a sweat, take a break, windy, sweaty, instant chill.  Jacket back on start warming up again.  



Still some snow to be seen


I had company


Part of a Geocache.

Being the Ice Age Trail it was hilly and rocky and interesting landscape to see. And the trail is drying out nicely.  Not nearly the mud pits of last week. 

Although I thought this West Bend section wasn't as nice as the previous one, The Kewaskum segment made up for it.  From here to Fond du Lac County its pretty much all state forest so the urban element of the trail is over.  This section also had quite a bit of road connects.  Meaning some sections of the trail were actually public road ways.  Connecting segment to segment.  One particular length was almost 2 and a half miles.  Almost all uphill.  It just makes it boring and you really think about the miles as you see straight strips of asphalt. Plus the added concern of traffic is there.  


This took me a total of 3 hours and 15 minutes.  Only 2 and a half hours of that actually walking.  Taking a break for some snacks, taking pictures enjoying the outdoors made for another enjoyable afternoon.



Maiden voyage in new boots. Not bad.  I have a year to return them for new ones if I don't like them or they don't fit well or fall apart. Thanks REI!

Next up?  another 8-9 mile section in the Kettle Moraine State Forest (North).  Anybody interested let me know.  I know I talk to myself plenty, why not join and make me seem a bit less crazy?  On second thought just come because you want to. 

There are no bugs at this time, but there are no leaves either,  Soon it should look completely different, I will probably do these segments again in summer to see the difference.

As last entry had a picture of the elevation graph so here it is again:


Full Photo Album Here   I have only 30 or so pictures, I took over 100.  It's hard to pick the interesting ones. I have been using Flickr as well, That album is here (same thing different look). I put some effort into geotagging these photos, take a look at the map if you find one you like.  Might be interesting to see where it was actually take.  Lastly the track to see the overview of the hike is HERE.  


No comments:

Post a Comment