Pages

Monday, April 13, 2015

Another Saturday...Yes Another Hike (part III)

With all the rain of the week before, we really had a great weekend.  Got 10 miles on the bike in, washed a car, hit the gym, played basketball and did another 8 miles on the Ice Age Trail. (I am sore like you wouldn't believe today)

This is the last northerly section of trail in Washington county.  I started where I stopped last time. At Sunburst Ski hill and took it into Sheboygan county. Ending where I do a lot of off road biking, New Fane.

Weather was in the mid 60's very sunny and little wind.

Still somewhat urban as we still go past the east side of Kewaskum, you could still hear cars and farm machinery.  Eventually that fades.

It starts by going under Hwy 45....



Unless its flooded.

The trails we dry, a concern I had after the 3" of rain we got during the week.  Only a few spongy spots. The rest was perfect.


Lots of dead fall everywhere and some green just trying to peek through.  It will be interesting to hike these sections again in the summer and then again in the fall.  Completely different scenery I am sure.


Eventually we leave lowland and farmland behind and enter state forest.  



The trail crosses Highway H, then Highway 28.  Most of it along a high ridge. I pass the loop to one of the backpacking shelters. 


The trail is mostly hardwoods, with little sections of tall and dark pine.  


Another 8 miles....As almost as if I planned it, wait I did.   Eight miles in about 3 1/2  hours.  Only 2 and a half actually hiking.  Between taking pictures, stopping for a few trail snacks and talking to people you meet (and even know) it's easy to pass some the time.  What's next?  Well if I want my Washington county IAT patch I gotta go south for the remainder.  From County line rd in Richfield through Holy Hill, Pike Lake, Slinger and Cedar lake.  Another 2 or 3 days total to get all 45 miles plus in.  


Another graph of the elevation on the hike,  It might look like a lot but it's not that noticeable.

Again all the pictures are in Google Albums or in Flickr and the Track log can be accessed Here






No comments:

Post a Comment