Pages

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Keep on Truckin'

After the trip to Arizona left me with some feelings of unfinished business, I started planning another backpacking trip for the late summer.  The Superior Hiking Trail is calling my name for a 3 night 35 mile jaunt.  Mike is even coming up from Texas to join me.

It had been 3 months since I last put the pack on and hiked any distance, so it was time to do a bit of training before we head up to Minnesota in 2 weeks. I bought a new pack as well, nothing was really wrong with my old one, but this one is more 'bare bones' and because of that it's also 2 pounds lighter. I thought it would be wise to try it before I take it on an extended trip to make sure it was going to be comfortable.

Friday after work, Tracy dropped me off on a trail head of the Ice Age Trail in the Kettle Moraine Northern Unit. About 3 miles north of Mauthe Lake.  In a little over an hour I had hiked 4 miles and where I would stop for the night. Primitive shelter #2.  You can only camp at designated shelters in the forest and there are only 5 in this 30 mile section. Oh yea and I paid $26.00 for the privilege. 



I hung my hammock, my pack and my sweaty clothes. Perfect weather, not too hot, a bit of sun and the bugs weren't too bad.  I started a fire, because why not. I also started dinner. A dehydrated meal called Texas State Fair Chili. It was pretty tasty. It even had a side packet of cheese and corn chips to put on top. I will definitely bring this one a long again. 

This is the part of solo camping that's a little hard to get used to. Now what? I had my kindle, I have a fire but its strange sitting there by yourself. Not that I don't have good conversations with myself.  Once it got dark I went to bed, tried to read but just wasn't happening. I laid there listening to every bird and insect in the forest. Eventually I dozed off, only to be awoken by some noise by the shelter. I shined my flashlight in the area and went back to sleep.  In the morning something was messing with my stuff. A sock (that was on my shoe) and a small bottle of hand sanitizer had been knocked off the bench where I left them that night. Probably a raccoon.

I made a little coffee,had a little breakfast, packed up my gear and was back on the trail by 8:30. 
 

Lots of people on the trail today, yesterday I passed a boy scout group from Chicago and today I passed no less that 12 people. Most with large packs like mine. 

Today I had eight miles to go and I did that in 2 hours and 15 minutes. Got back to my car and was home before noon. A nice trip if I say so myself.

The pack was a hit, more comfortable than I expected and sat real well on my back. I also used my inreach communicator for an extended test. No more cell signal issues and you can track my progress- where I am by this site here. It updates my position every 10 minutes. Should have had this in April, could have saved us time and possibly extended our trip, I will have this set up in two weeks to track Mike and I as we travel on the western shore of lake Superior. 




No comments:

Post a Comment