Pages

Monday, January 16, 2017

Another Hike

Today is MLK day and I get the day off as do a lot of people. Usually I will make a pilgrimage to Cascade Mountain for a day of snowboarding. I had Joel to go with me. I even bought a pair of wrist guards. But the weather of sleet, freezing rain, rain and more freezing rain made me decide to shelf that idea. Too far to drive in bad weather to be outdoors in bad wet weather and be miserable. It was going to be bad enough I was snowboarding.

So to keep active on Sunday before the Packer game I decided to go on a hike. I had a route planned for my winter snow/camp attempt (if that ever happens) and I decided to scout it out and see if it was too much to do.

I started at Butler Lake. This is a little known recreation area in the Northern Kettle Moraine. Lake access, well water and a few picnic tables.  I was through here on a previous hike in 2015


Its actually a little farther than I wanted to hike but they have a nice parking lot here, it's a no brainer.

I head out on the trail at exactly 10 AM. About 22 degrees and full sun. I was amazed at how much snow that was still on the ground. Around my house it's pretty garbage. The last hike I was on was garbage. Icy, rutted, messy. Here it was solid snow. Trails were solid snow. This made me a bit happier as I would not be fighting the ruts and twisting knees and ankles.


Right out of the parking lot there are are stairs. Makes for a nice lake overlook. My goal was to get to Parnell Tower Shelter area about 4.4 miles away and then come back for about 9 miles total.


It was sunny and while not warm, it was not windy and I was plenty warm. The trail was easy to navigate.

Finally I got to shelter #4. This is where I would camp out for the night when and if I do a winter trip.


Not much to look at but it is a designated campsite in the area. i suppose nothing would stop me from going off trail to do my own thing either (other than being illegal), but there is an outhouse about 100 yards away if you need that.

This was where I was supposed to turn around and head back. I did scope out the Parnell Tower loop prior to coming up so I headed north about 100 ft and took the purple trail loop for Parnell. This trail had not seen half the traffic the Ice Age trail sees and it showed. I could have used my snow shoes for this one. Deeper snow and not packed down much at all.



Much less travelled for sure. They were also doing some forest thinning and logging here so the trail was a bit wild at times. I was wearing my trail runner boots and they state they are waterproof, but after getting into the snow for a while I could feel my feet getting wet. That's never good. 

The Parnell loop is about  and extra 3.2 miles. I finally reach the tower at around 12:40. Take a walk up the 80 or 100 stairs to the top of the tower. Looks really different with no leave on any trees, You can really see the kames now.



I am also stupid hungry and eat the few things I brought. A snickers bar, and a some bit o honey's. I finish the loop and get back on the Ice Age Trail heading back south.


I make pretty good time and am back at the car by 2:30. My three hour under 9 mile trek turned into a four plus hour 12 mile hike. Home in time to shower and watch the Packer game!   2 weeks into the new year and I have 17 miles in. Pretty good start.





No comments:

Post a Comment