Pages

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Remember a few months back Tracy and I went to Madison to the canoe and kayak show?  Well we took off on Monday and went back to finish what we started.

We got to the shop around 11 ish to do some test paddling and a few other items.  First, it took over an hour to find a PFD that I liked and fit well.   I must have tried on every one they had.  Tracy was done in, oh, 15 minutes tops.  It was so bad that, when I took the kayak out to test paddle I actually tested 2 PFD's at the same time I tested the boat.  Who knew it would be that tough to pick one.  One that actually fit me well and would be comfortable enough that I would actually wear it.  For hours at a time.  

Needless to say Tracy and some of the staff had a good laugh at my expense with the PFD thing.  I had to laugh at myself as well.  I mean it was pretty ridiculous.  

We spent a lot more time at the shop than expected.  As we were hindered by thunderstorms that would not allow us to get on the water right away.  At least it was in the 70's temperature wise.  It would have been miserable if it were like today (40°).  

We did buy the boats we thought we would at the show.  They are nice, comfortable and stable.  A little on the larger side, but better that then too small and not as usable a few years down the road  (Can anyone say kayak camping?).

We strapped them to the car, and headed home.  Now just a few more things to take care of.  First a place to store them (garage rafters), some warmer, non rainy weather and finally a bit of free time to enjoy them. 

The weather will eventually get here and the free time will too.   I already have a few trips planned as soon as we can get out there ( I am such a map nerd). Until then we have the small public lake less than 2 miles from here to practice paddle on and fish from (Erler Lake). Yes, an added benefit is being able to do some boat fishing, not the public pier fishing I had stopped doing.  The little lake has a nice blue gill and smallmouth population.  Should be fun to get out there and bring a basket home for a fresh summer fish fry.

Here is hoping for warmer weather and a relaxing summer.

My boat is the lime green one.

Tracy's is the mango/sunburst color one.

Same boat and model except mine is 1/2 foot longer, for you know, extra weight capacity.



1 comment:

  1. Blue gill make for a tasty fish fry! We just had the last of the blue gills last night that James caught while ice fishing the Mississippi this past January! Still got some Northern to try next.

    ReplyDelete