Pages

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Wow can I just say that I have been negligent in my updates?  Yea.  That wan't so bad.

Been busy still.  At least I am done with the travels for a while, well for a few weeks anyway.  I did take a lot of pictures and things when I was out and thought it would be cool to show and tell.  If you read along you already know the pizza joint in Tucson.  But I also had a really good meal in the Milwaukee Airport.  No, seriously.  Nonna's (a Balistreri owned place).  I had calamari and a pizza.














Yum-O!



Remember when George Webb's was still really good?  No, neither do I.  I kid, I kid.

Well they have these magical places in most southern states called Waffle House.  You know of them, you have heard them and hell you may have eaten at them.   It had been years since the last time I ate in one.  Since most states now have a no smoking in public place policy, it was actually a decent breakfast.


Coffee, Check.  Eggs, Check.  Hashbrowns, really good!  Bacon really thin.  Not shown here, the waffle.  You know with a place with Waffle in the name you would think the waffles would be good.  Sadly that is not the case.  Seriously Eggo waffles were better.  Kiki makes the best waffles at home which are so far beyond the quality of these.  It's like the affle-waffle house wasn't even trying.  I think thats the most I have ever typed waffle at any one time.

Two other places I hit in Tucson.  One called El Guero Canelo. Famous for the Sonoran style hot dog and featured on Travel Channel's Man vs Food!  What is Sonoran style dog you ask? Well let me tell you.

















It's a hot dog wrapped in bacon then cooked on a grill then topped with freshly chopped tomatoes, onions, shredded yellow or cotijo cheese, red chili sauce or green (in my case), pinto beans, mayonnaise, ketchup and/or mustard. I also had something called a Caramelo, which is actually not a dessert but 2 tortillas, Mexican cheese and carne asada all cooked like a Quesadilla.  Throw in some fresh sauce, salsas and a bottle of Mexican Coca-Cola (cane sugar) and you have a meal!


I will be back.  Did I mention that hot dog with an extra dog in it was 2.99?

Final stop on this tour was the Dragoon Brewing Company.  Not much to say.  Good beers, cool little tasting room attached to the brewery and a food truck of the day to feed the tasters

What they had on tap at the time:



Leaving Tucson and heading to Little Rock Arkansas, I had to make a stop at two standby's  The flying Saucer and Whole Hog BBQ.

Flying Saucer beer bar, you know, drink 200 beers and get you name in a saucer on the wall.  I have been a member of that club since 2006 and I still have 188 beers to go.  Here is a lousy picture of the tap wall.


Finally.  BBQ.  Great family run championship winning bbq joint.  The Who hog and I had the  the whole hog plate.  A sampler of pulled pork, ribs, brisket, pulled beef, slaw and the best creamy potato salad. Ever.  Kind of tasted like the best sour cream and onion or ranch chips you have had.  It's complete surprise with that first bite.



I am hungry after writing all this....




No comments:

Post a Comment