Pages

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Bikes

I used to believe in a lot of things and as I get older, I have become more jaded and skeptical. Karma, one of the last things I hoped really existed has left the building for me.

Why? Well, maybe chalk it up to bad luck or bad timing or who knows what else, but it seems like this household doesn't catch too many breaks. We pretty much earn everything we have, and its sucks when things go wrong.

3 weeks after we left Joel, on 9/11, his bike was stolen; lock cut and bike gone. People really suck. Now he has to hump it an extra 25 minutes on foot to classes for now. We will watch Craigslist and ebay and check with the police and campus police but I think it's never going to be found. Hopefully the claim I put in on the credit card I used to purchase it will will be approved and we will have some money to get a new one. I doubt it will be as nice, but hey thats life. Maybe I should steal one back. Enforce my own Karma.

Anyway, I took my bike out for a ride yesterday. Gorgeous day, low 60's sunny. No bugs.

 I drove to New Fane only to find a bike race going on. So I drove the extra 20 minutes to Greenbush instead. I had never been here before,  I had no idea what to expect. I knew it was more difficult than New Fane, but by how much?

There are 4 loops on them system and to do them all will be about 9 miles. I did 1, 2 and 3. When I came up on the option to start four or loop back on 3, it was a no brainer. I was not ready for 3 more miles of this. I had already used all 24oz of water and was sucking wind pretty hard. I would say that this trail was at least twice as difficult. Why? Well it wasn't for elevation gain, but the technicality of the trail, it was harsh. So many rocks and small boulders and mostly on ascents and descents following hairpin turns. It was hard to stay upright. I did, but there were a few moments where I wasn't too sure about that.

Difficulty aside it was a nice set of trails. Lots of narrow in between trees and 98% under tree cover. The trails were marked better than New Fane too. I will have to build up my stamina more before I hit this again. Oh I forgot to mention the occasional tree down in the trail. 3 out of 4 I was able to jump over. This last one, not so much.


Its hard to see the scale in this picture but that 'log' almost came up to my waist.  Not going to bunny hop or climb over this one.  

After the ride was over, I realized how close I was to the Parnell Tower.  Never have been there,  I said what the heck,  it is on the way home.  The Parnell Tower is a state park with a 60' high observation tower on top of a 1300' hill.  You can see Sheboygan, Lake Michigan and Holy Hill (35 miles away) from here.  Pretty cool, we should come back in about 2-3 weeks to see the fall colors.


Anyway, if you want to see the trail ride I did, the next post (below) has a link to the trail and the details behind it (like my avg heart rate of over 150!)  Click view details and also choose satellite maps .



No comments:

Post a Comment