Pages

Monday, July 7, 2014

8 Miles More

Being a long holiday weekend, I knew it would be busy.  They always are.  Thursday was the annual Turk Family Fireworks Extravaganza at the lake front.  Great job by Mom as always to grab  nice spot.  This year it at least you could see the fireworks.  A bit chilly at times, but really nice weather for it.  

Friday I painted, and painted and sanded and painted and got quite a bit of work done.  Several of the windows are done and back in place, the final porch parts done. I will get this done eventually.   The next day was a little more of the same - putting some windows back in so in case it rained it would not be a issue. Then we were off to Taylor's graduation party.  Ahh the kids are growing up so fast. 

During the party Bob sends me a text - they did the next segment of the Milwaukee River.  All the way to Grafton.  

Not to be outdone, come Sunday I loaded up the car and hit the water before 11.  Put in at Ehrlers Park, just north of the little class one rapids that we hit last time.  The water seemed a bit lower but the drop was still chugging away.  You could hear it before you see it.  Got past that and on to Saukville.





The highway 33 bridge in Saukville.  


One of about 4 herons I spotted.  They don't let you get too close before the spook and fly off.


The river gets slow and wide. 200 ft across at come points.  More and more houses on the shores. Pepsi ropes, docks, fire pits, all forms of seating.  You can definitely tell it's getting more urban.  This place seemed as good as any to relax and take a selfie.



One of the odd little cabins on the river



A large snapping turtle, I tried to get as close as possible but spooked it as I got this shot off.


Another interesting building.

Approaching the take out at Grafton's Veterans Park.


Waiting for my ride to pick me up. A little over 8 miles in under 2 hours.  Quicker than I expected.


Unfortunately, you can't go much further than this anyway.  Well, without portaging around one of the remaining dams on the river.  Only the Thiensville and Estabrook dams are left after this, then a clear shot to Lake Michigan.



Got home to do a little grocery shopping and then grilled some huge pork chops I had brining.  We are talking 2" thick monsters.  They grilled up awesome, throw some baked potatoes and asparagus in there for a perfect Sunday dinner.


They were so good  - everyone ate everything and so fast,  no plated pictures exist.  You will just have to take my word for it.  

Back to a full work week and more painting.  With enough work I may be able to reward myself with another paddle from Grafton to Mequon?


This is the trail I have paddled so far - Almost 40 miles in 4 segments.

No comments:

Post a Comment