Pages

Thursday, December 9, 2010

That time of year

No not THAT time of year.

It's the annual (semi annual) visit by our local Jehova's Witnesses.  

I cherish these visits.  I really do.  It makes my heart race and my mind wander on how I really want to approach their knock on the door.

Sometimes I pretend that the dog is uncontrollable and that he really doesn't like strangers.  In his yard, at his door.   If they only knew he was only looking for treats.

This year the timing was perfect.  I had just finished a book.  The End of Faith, by Sam Harris.  A very interesting look at organized religions, beliefs and faith.  Many interesting points backed up with much reference and evidence.  This post is not to do a book review, but to set the stage.

Everyone who reads this knows, even with my parents fine Catholic upbringing (sorry Mom), I struggle with religious concepts and beliefs.  Again, another conversation for another day.

So when I saw this stout middle aged women get out of her nice car and approach my door, I instinctively look around for Bailey.  However, he being hard of hearing most days, never even knew she was at the door.

I open the door and she mentions that she picked up one of my 'decorations' that had fell over in the wind.  Yes a mini Christmas tree.  I thought about belaboring the Christmas angle. Or that is was my birthday!  Nah too easy.

She reaches into her purse and pulls out The Watchtower and Awake! publications.   Again, I think to myself, they need some new way of evangelizing.  This is getting old.  The first real words out of her mouth, other than the pleasantries, were, "Did you know that there are more atheists than ever in this world?"
"hmmm, define athiest" I ask.  Since that is a very broad brush to paint with.
"People who don't believe in god"
"God, god? or your concept of god or any god??" I politely ask
Looking somewhat off balance,  she points to her fine publications and asks differently.  "Do you wonder why this is? people rejecting god?"
I smile a little and reply "No, I really don't wonder why"
"Our publication 'Awake!' describes why.  Would you like to read it?"
Wow, she is obviously not listening to me. It is also obvious she would not care to debate god on my front step either.  "No thanks.  I  have my own opinions as to why"
"I see. can I leave these two booklets with you to look at on your own time?"
I think and almost ask; does she get closer to 'salvation' by the number of publications she hands out?
At a point I almost invited her in to continue this ruse.  Thoughts fresh from my recent reading,  one half wanting me to go in full debate, er, discussion mode. My other half, being of a bit more respectful, just politely declined her offer.  She thanks me for my time and off she goes taking her car from my driveway and parking in the neighbors to continue her quest.

A while later I really wondered why I engaged her so much.   Far be it from most Turk's comfort zone to do anymore than do the 'uh, sorry, don't have the time,can't help ya bro' and close the door or hang up the phone.  Maybe it was my recent reading, maybe my subconscious attempt at having fun with this woman; feeling unjustly smarter than her, or just hoping the dog would eventually hear her and come charging in to save me.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment