Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

More outdoors

I like to bike, always have.  Riding my bike all over Milwaukee when I was young, riding 150 mile tours for charity and going through the 76 trail (now oak leaf).

This year I have been putting a much bigger effort to get out there even more.  But I am more limited to single-track riding now.  The mountain bike I have is not too conducive to street riding.  We have several trails.  The Eisenbahn Trail which is a rails to trails conversion.  Paved in West Bend and hard gravel from City limits all the way to Eden.  I did West Bend to Kewaskum last year (18 miles) and did a 10 mile section this year with Mackenzie.  Then we actually have a small trail in our subdivision.  Used by ATV's, motocross and anyone else.  Its can be fun to do a few laps there.  Finally a few miles away are the Kettle Moraine State Forest Northern Unit trails.  The New Fane trail in particular I have been riding pretty hard.  There are 4 loops which are about a 5.5 mile total if  you do loops 2 to 3 to 4.  because its in the kettle it has some steeper climbs and descents.  I have a GPS unit that I use for my bike computer and I get about 500 ft of climbing in that 5 miles and my average heart rate is in the 150's so it is a great workout.

Saturday I asked Joel to accompany me on my ride.  This trail is what is termed 'moderately challenging' and you really need to be comfortable with a bouncy ride and control of your bike as well as a way to keep you feet in the pedals.  I have clip in pedals so my shoes stay locked in the pedal (for the most part).  Joel's bike does not.  Needless to say he was hampered by feet coming off the pedals and losing balance in quite a few spots.  We were bombing around and since I have done this trail quite a bit this year I have a good idea of the tricky spots and interesting features.

One of these features is a 90 degree turn with a high bank berm.  The trail goes along the bottom of the berm and stays flat.  The experienced or 'extreme'  riders go up the berm.  Its like riding on a steep embankment. that goes back to the trail as you come down the side.  And this berm is quite possibly 55-60 degrees from level. The last few times through I said I can do that.  So this time I knew it was coming and hell Joel can watch this cool move as he was behind me.  So I jumped the bike up and was on the berm thinking 'F yea!' except I missed the dismount on the way down and was then thinking 'oh Shit' as I am now somewhere over the handlebars between my bike and the trail.  It was over quickly and the only thing I thought about mid flight was where I was landing. No trees? Check, No giant rocks? Nope.  Cross-check and prepare for a rough landing.  I hit the ground, arms and shoulder first.  I immediately pop up and ask Joel "Did you see that!?"  Well he was far enough back he missed most of it except the crash.  Dang.  So close.  I pick my bike up, straighten the handlebars and get back for the rest of the ride.

We get back to the car after an hour of hard trail riding and assess the damage.  Bikes  is ok. Forearm is rashed up, the upper arm is rashed and bruised and my ribs hurt a little.  So I guess I am not as good as I think I am, yet.  Will I try it again?  yea  not  next time, but I will.

The next day my rib is really hurting, I must have come down on the bike somehow. Oh well it's almost gone today.  Who wants to go with me next time?







No comments:

Post a Comment