Pages

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Where there is a will there is a way?

Waaaay back in January Tracy and I went to BBC lighting to replace a light cover that she broke.  Going there I just knew that's not all we would come home with.  I was right, we also had a new hall foyer light.  You know to replace the original from almost 20 years ago that had not aged too well.

The big issue was how to actually install that bad boy.  I have a ladder that would get me high enough but not reach far enough to get to the middle of the ceiling.  I though about building some ladder to ladder plamk thing, but there is not much room to get in there with the stairs and loft.   So it sat for months.

Tracy called an electrician - $300.00 to do it.  Nope, scaffolding was going to cost me $80 to rent and then drag that shit back and forth.  With the house being painted and my fear of artificial heights conquered. I figured it was time.

With Tracy out for the day, I seized the opportunity.  A quick trip to Home Depot and $60 lighter I had a plan.

I built my own scaffolding.




A 10ft high platform so I could take down the light and rewire the new one.   I after doing this I was really glad I did not attempt to to this with a ladder system.  These lights are pretty heavy and they need to have the chains run and wires pulled right up to the installation point.  This was way more stable and allowed me to drop a wire nut or place a tool without having to go up or down.



With the new light up I broke down the scaffolding and cleaned up.  Less than 3 hours from start to finish.  Most of that was in the building and cutting of the scaffolding lumber.  

I am just busting out the honey do list this year....


No comments:

Post a Comment