Pages

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Busted plans

Man you know what really stinks?  Trying to plan something for a few weeks, get all excited about it and then have mission control throw up an ABORT message 2 days before launch.

That's what happened to me.  And mission control in this case is Mother Nature.

With most of my house work behind me for the summer and fall well into its splendor, I was looking to get a river camping trip in before it gets real bad.

I planned the course, got all the reservations,  pick ups scheduled and acquired some essential gear.  I would leave Friday October 3rd and drive to the St Croix National Waterway.  (Yes by myself).  Put my boat in the water and kayak down the Namekagon River until it meets the St Croix River - headwaters to the Mississippi. About 38 miles over 3 days with 2 nights of camping.

And then I watched the weather forecast.  5 days ago the extended was for a chance of rain and highs in the 60's.  Sounds fine.  Then later it was more chance of rain and highs in the upper 50's. Still not too bad. Well as of today there is even more rain and add some higher winds (10-20mph) and highs not even to 50°.  Wait it gets better:  Friday night also could get snow mixed with rain.  Cold, I can handle, Wet sure, winds ok.  Put 'em all together and I no longer expect to enjoy myself, but just try to stay warm and dry.  So I cancelled, everything.  I am a sad panda right now.



St Croix National Waterway

The section of river I was planning on doing is actually an interactive map built by the National Parks Service.


In dry dock getting fit with gear.


Most of my gear (minus tent and sleeping pad) that was already in the boat.  

I can only hope that there might be a break in the weather in 2 weeks or so to maybe attempt this yet this year.  Doubtful, but you never know.  



No comments:

Post a Comment